Today, Prime Video announced a series order for the drama Cruel Intentions. Inspired by the iconic ‘90s film of the same name, the highly anticipated series is produced by Sony Pictures Television, Amazon MGM Studios, and Original Film.
The cast will include Sarah Catherine Hook (First Kill), Zac Burgess (Totally Completely Fine), Savannah Lee Smith (Gossip Girl), Sara Silva (American Horror Stories), Khobe Clarke (Firefly Lane, Yellowjackets), John Harlan Kim (The Last Thing He Told Me, 9-1-1), Brooke Lena Johnson (You), and Sean Patrick Thomas (Till). Claire Forlani, Nikki Crawford, Isabella Tagliati, Zeke Goodman and Jon Tenney are recurring.
Cruel Intentionswill premiere exclusively on Prime Video in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide.
In this new adaptation, Cruel Intentions takes place at an elite Washington, D.C., college, where two ruthless step-siblings will do anything to stay on top of the cutthroat social hierarchy.
After a brutal hazing incident threatens the entire Panhellenic system at their school, they’ll do whatever is necessary to preserve their power and reputation, even if that means seducing the daughter of the vice president of the United States.
“From the ‘90s cult-classic film to the 18th-century novel from which it was adapted, Cruel Intentions has captivated audiences with a story that transcends time,” said Lauren Anderson, head of AVOD originals, unscripted, and targeted programming, Amazon MGM Studios. “We are beyond thrilled to share the next chapter of Cruel Intentions’ intriguing interplay of deception, wit, and reckoning with Prime customers and couldn’t be more appreciative of the commitment, dedication, and talent from this entire team – our incredible cast, endlessly clever writers, led by Phoebe and Sara, our fantastic partners at Sony and Original Film, and the executives that led the way at Amazon MGM Studios.”
“We are so excited to get to work together to continue the legacy of Cruel Intentions, a film that remains beloved by so many—including us!“ said executive producers Sara Goodman and Phoebe Fisher. “We promise to make this next iteration as fun, irreverent, and boundary-pushing as the original, and are grateful to our partners at Original Film, Sony, and Amazon MGM Studios for trusting us to keep it Cruel.”
“Cruel Intentions defined an era and is still a centerpiece in popular culture. We are excited to have Phoebe and Sara bring this new adaptation to life, as this has been a passion project of ours since I got to Sony,” added Lauren Stein, head of creative, Sony Pictures Television. “We are grateful for our partners at Prime Video, Amazon MGM Studios, and Original Film, who brought the movie to life over 20 years ago.”
Goodman (I Know What You Did Last Summer, Preacher) and Fisher (I Know What You Did Last Summer, Orange Crush) helm as the series writers and executive producers. Other executive producers will include Neal H. Moritz and Pavun Shetty (Original Film) and Roger Kumble.
The original movie was produced by Moritz and was written and directed by Kumble.
About Sony Pictures Television
Sony Pictures Television (SPT) is one of the television industry’s leading content providers, producing, distributing, and carrying programming worldwide in every genre and for every platform. In addition to managing one of the industry’s largest libraries of award-winning feature films, television shows, and formats, SPT is home to a thriving global content business, operating a robust portfolio of wholly owned and joint-venture production companies across the U.S., Europe, Latin America, and Asia Pacific, as well as linear and digital channels around the world. SPT is a Sony Pictures Entertainment Company, a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Group Corporation.
About Original Film TV
Original Film’s series include Emmy-nominated The Boys and Gen V on Prime Video and SWAT on CBS. Its previous series include Goosebumps on Disney+ and I Know What You Did Last Summer on Prime Video; Preacher on AMC; Happy! on SyFy; Prison Break at Fox; the HBO movie The Rat Pack, which earned 11 Primetime Emmy nominations; Showtime’s highly acclaimed The Big C; and the NBC series Save Me.
About Prime Video:
- Included with Prime Video: Watch movies, series, and sports, including Thursday Night Football. Enjoy Emmy winner The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Emmy-nominated satirical superhero drama The Boys, Emmy-nominated fan-favorite miniseries Daisy Jones & The Six, and the smash hits AIR, The Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power, Citadel, Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, Creed III, Shotgun Wedding, The Tomorrow War, Reacher, The Summer I Turned Pretty, and Coming 2 America. Prime members also get access to licensed content.
- Prime Video Channels: Prime members can add channels like Max, Paramount+ with SHOWTIME, BET+, MGM+, ViX+, Crunchyroll, PBS KIDS, NBA League Pass, MLB.TV, BritBox, STARZ, and discovery+ —no extra apps to download, and no cable required. Only pay for the ones you want, and cancel anytime. View the full list of channels available at amazon.com/channels.
- Rent or Buy: Enjoy new-release movies to rent or buy, entire seasons of current TV shows available to buy, and special deals just for Prime members.
- Instant access: Watch at home or on the go with your choice of hundreds of compatible devices. Stream from the web or using the Prime Video app on your smartphone, tablet, set-top box, game console, or select smart TV.
- Enhanced experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD- and High Dynamic Range (HDR)-compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favorite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
Prime Video is just one of the savings, convenience, and entertainment benefits included in a Prime membership. More than 200 million Prime members in 25 countries around the world enjoy access to Amazon’s enormous selection, exceptional value, and fast delivery. In the U.S., anyone can join Prime for $14.99 per month or $139 per year, or start a free 30-day trial if eligible at amazon.com/prime. For more information about Prime, including discounted memberships, visit aboutamazon.com/prime.
Editor-in-Chief | Seat42F, a leading source of entertainment news, information, television and movie resources.