Warner Bros. Consumer Products with Adult Swim just announced at their annual Adult Swim Festival that the network has partnered with Digital Dream Labs to produce a limited-edition Butter Robot inspired by the Emmy award-winning animated series and global phenomenon, Rick and Morty.
“Our partnership with Digital Dream Labs gave us the opportunity to deliver the creative storytelling of Rick and Morty in an incredibly unexpected way that we believe will not only resonate with fans, but ultimately deepen their engagement with the property,” said Robert Oberschelp, Senior Vice President, Global Brand Product, Warner Bros. Consumer Products. “The Butter Robot is not only innovative, but a really fun way to pass the butter.”
A fan favorite character from season one, the Butter Robot is now available for pre-order for the holidays. Straight from the Citadel of Ricks, the Butter Robot is a nearly-sentient robot that was created for the sole purpose of passing butter. With its lifelike movement and trademark voice, the Butter Robot is sure to deliver hours of fun, all while its complex “emotion engine” creates unique interactions as it struggles with a need for purpose.
“The partnership with Adult Swim has been one of the coolest we’ve ever done at Digital Dream Labs. We’re all huge fans of Rick and Morty and collaborating with the show creators has been great. We’re all very eager for fans of the show to meet the Butter Robot,” said Dr. Jacob Hanchar, co-founder & CEO of Digital Dream Labs.
Audio/visual sensors and lifelike mechanical movements give the Butter Robot the ability to relay its unique, human-like personality while performing complex commands:
- Sentience – A complex “emotion engine” allows the Butter Robot to react to influences from its environment and adapt to become more “self-aware” over time while choosing to “rebel” against commands and exhibit independence.
- Selectable Control Modes – Using the complimentary mobile app, fans can select from three control modes (Direct Control, Coding, Passing) to relay a variety of commands to their robot companion.
- Passing Mode – The Butter Robot will listen for and respond to the phrase “Pass the Butter” and will react by passing its butter stick to the fan who spoke.
- Direct Control – This mode allows fans to experience life from the robot’s perspective; “driving” the Butter Robot and performing pre-programmed animations (dances, picking up the butter), all while watching from its integrated camera.
- Coding Mode – Fans can use block coding to relay a series of commands to the Butter Robot.
- Movement – In addition to passing the butter, Butter Robot has a combination of mechanical designs that allow it to move its head, torso and arms like a human.
- Voice – Identical to the voice used in Rick and Morty, fans will enjoy Butter Robot’s distinct voice as it interacts with its surroundings or parrots phrases relayed through the mobile app’s text-to-voice feature.
The limited-edition run of the Butter Robot can be purchased here for $147 USD during the pre-order window.
Adult Swim, launched in 2001, is a WarnerMedia network offering original and acquired animated and live-action series for young adults. Airing nightly from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. (ET/PT), Adult Swim is the #1 network with persons18-24, 18-34 and 18-49 and is seen in 85 million U.S. homes.
Warner Bros. is a global leader in the creation, production, distribution, licensing and marketing of all forms of entertainment across all current and emerging media and platforms. A WarnerMedia company, the Studio is home to one of the most successful collections of brands in the world and stands at the forefront of every aspect of the entertainment industry, from feature film, television and home entertainment production and worldwide distribution to DVD and Blu-ray, digital distribution, animation, comic books, videogames, product and brand licensing, and broadcasting.