The thrilling World Cup Final brought in a peak TV audience of 14.9 million on BBC One, with a TV audience share of 58%.
Argentina and Messi’s unforgettable victory was also streamed 7.1 million times on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport Online.
It was a tournament that will be remembered for many reasons; Wales’ first World Cup in 64 years, England’s early optimism and an iconic, career-defining victory for the magical Messi.
Audiences flocked to the BBC throughout, with a reach of 38.8 million on TV and the tournament streamed a record-breaking 104.7 million times streams on BBC iPlayer and Sport Online.
Barbara Slater, Director of BBC Sport, says: “One of the greatest World Cup Finals of all time, Argentina and Messi’s victory last night closed off a thrilling four weeks of football. A first ever winter World Cup was a new experience for fans and the BBC has once again demonstrated the value of sport when made freely available to all, breaking new streaming records and providing the highest quality coverage, analysis and entertainment across TV, BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport Online and BBC Sounds.”
World Cup Final on the BBC
- Peak TV audience of 14.9 million
- 7.1 million streams on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport Online
- TV audience share of 58%
World Cup 2022 on the BBC
The BBC’s holistic offer across TV, BBC iPlayer, BBC Sounds and BBC Sport Online proved a hit with audiences, breaking BBC streaming records. Across the tournament:
- Matches were streamed 104.7 million times on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport Online
- There were 52.8 million unique browsers to BBC Sport’s World Cup website
- World Cup 2022 programming was played 10.4 million times on BBC Radio 5 Live, BBC Sounds and BBC Sport Online
Most Popular World Cup 2022 Games on the BBC
The Top 5 Most Requested Live Games on BBC Sport Online and BBC iPlayer:
- England v Iran, 21/11/22 – 7.9 million
- Argentina v France, 18/12/22 – 7.1 million
- Wales v England, 29/11/22 – 5.9 million
- Croatia v Brazil, 09/12/22 – 5.3 million
- Netherlands v Argentina, 09/12/22 – 4.6 million
The Top 5 Most Watched Games on BBC Television across the tournament
- Wales v England, 29/11/22 – Peak of 17.6 million
- Argentina v France, 18/12/22 – Peak of 14.9 million
- Netherlands v Argentina, 09/12/22 – Peak of 12.1 million
- France v Morocco, 14/12/22 – Peak of 10 million
- Spain v Germany, 27/11/22 – Peak of 9.9 million
FOUNDER & CHIEF CONTENT OFFICER | Founder and COO of Seat42F, a leading source of entertainment news, information, television and movie resources.