Logo, the entertainment network for gays, lesbians and their families and friends announced today the nominees for the 2011 “NewNowNext Awards.” Now in its fourth year, this influential awards show will not look at the year that passed, but will instead focus on what is up-and-coming in popular culture in 2011 and beyond. To that end, the “NewNowNext Awards” gathers icons and stars-on-the-rise to crown the next “big things” in TV, music, film, print and new media long before they hit the mainstream. Starting Today, February 7th, visitors to NewNowNext.com can review the nominees and vote for their favorites.
Nominees for the “NewNowNext Awards” were chosen by the “NewNowNext Academy” – a mix of tastemakers from TV, film, music, print and new media. The resulting categories spotlight outrageous distinctions such as; “#zOMG Internet Award” and “Cause You’re Hot” along with the more traditional titles of “Brink of Fame Actor /Music Artist” and “Best New Indulgence.” A full list of nominees for the categories is below.
New this year, the first-ever Entertainment Weekly Inspiration Award will be presented on the NewNowNext Awards special. The Entertainment Weekly Inspiration Award honors an entertainer who inspires hope and change through his or her work and public service.
Winners will be revealed Monday, April 11th at 10/9C, on Logo’s “NewNowNext Awards” 2011 show. The 90-minute special will be taped in front of a live audience of today’s hottest emerging and seasoned artists at the legendary Avalon in Hollywood, CA on April 7th. Performers, presenters and special guests will be announced as they are confirmed.
Through its past discoveries, the “NewNowNext Awards” has proven it’s one step ahead of the hype by calling out some of today’s hottest pop culture phenomenon long before they were on the mainstream radar. Highlights include Lady Gaga’s first ever televised performance with a sizzling rendition of “Just Dance.” Hit drama series “True Blood” received the “Best Show You’re Not Watching” award months before its Emmy© nominations. Wendy Williams won “Best New Indulgence” before her daytime talk show “The Wendy Williams Show” went national.
The “NewNowNext Awards” builds on Logo’s acclaimed NewNowNext franchise, which includes LogoTV.com’s pop culture blog NewNowNext.com and two on-air music shows: “NewNowNext PopLab,” the home for party music in all its forms, and “NewNowNext Music,” the ultimate music video destination of today’s hottest artists and emerging musicians.
“NewNowNext Awards” is Executive Produced by Christopher Willey and Dave Mace for Logo. Michael Dempsey of Dempsey Productions serves as Executive Producer and Director.
For more information, visit NewNowNext.com.
Nominees For The 4th Annual “NewNowNext Awards” 2011:
Brink of Fame: Actor
- Andrew Garfield (Spider-Man)
- Darren Criss (“Glee,” FOX)
- Donald Glover (“Community,” NBC)
- Emma Stone (Spider-Man)
- Nicholas Hoult (X-Men: First Class)
- Roony Mara (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
#zOMG Internet Award
- @CarrieFFisher on Twitter
- Mike Tompkins
- Sassy Gay Friend
TV You Betta Watch
- “1 girl 5 gays” (Logo)
- “Pretty Little Liars” (ABC Family)
- “Skins” (MTV)
- “The Game” (BET)
- “Tosh.0” (Comedy Central)
- “The Vampire Diaries” (The CW)
Best New Indulgence
- Angry Birds
- Netflix Watch Instantly
- New Kids On The Block/Backstreet Boys – Summer Tour 2011
- TJ Kelly, “The A-List: New York” (Logo)
Most Addictive Reality Star
- Tabatha Coffey, “Tabatha’s Salon Takeover” (Bravo)
- Tyler & Catelynn, “Teen Mom” (MTV)
- Carmen Carrera, “RuPaul’s Drag Race” (Logo)
- Josh Kilmer-Purcell & Brent Ridge, “The Fabulous Beekman Boys” (Planet Green)
Cause You’re Hot
- Amber Heard (Zombieland)
- Archie Panjabi (“The Good Wife,” CBS)
- Ben Cohen (Rugby Player, Activist)
- Jesse Williams (“Grey’s Anatomy,” ABC)
- Joe Manganiello (“True Blood,” HBO)
- Sofia Vergara (“Modern Family,” ABC)
Next Must-See Movie
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- The Smurfs
- Water For Elephants
- X-Men: First Class
Brink of Fame: Music Artist
- Oh Land
- Sleigh Bells
- Two Door Cinema Club
- Willow Smith
- Wynter Gordon