The 18-track compilation opens with the show's composers, Wendy & Lisa's "Heroes" theme song and also includes Wilco's "Glad It's Over" and the soon-to-be-released track by Panic! At The Disco, "Nine in the Afternoon." Other performers on the album include Nada Surf ("Weightless"), Death Cab For Cutie ("Jealousy Rides With Me"), Cucu Diamantes & Yerba Buena ("Maya's Theme"), Sheila Chandra ("ABoneConeDrone 3") and My Morning Jacket ("Chills"). Rounding out the soundtrack are classic cuts from Bob Dylan ("Man in the Long Black Coat") and Davie Bowie ("Heroes").
In addition, "Heroes" executive producer and director Allan Arkush has crafted five unique music video podcasts that will be exclusively available for free download on Zune Marketplace. Each video short features exclusive edits of "Heroes" footage set to select tracks from the album. Nada Surf's "Weightless" provides the soundtrack to the first video, which debuts February 29 on Zune Marketplace and MSN (http://tv.msn.com).
Four additional music video podcasts will roll out on Zune Marketplace in the coming weeks, leading up to the album's release. "Heroes" fans can collect all five and easily sync them to their Zune portable media player to watch on the go.
The "Heroes" soundtrack will be available March 18 only at Best Buy stores and is available for pre-order now at www.bestbuy.com. CD tracks will also be available digitally on Zune Marketplace and other digital service providers at that time. The album is being released through the NBC Records label.
"'Heroes' is such a unique series, with a very loyal fan base," said Shelli Hill, Vice President, NBC Universal Television DVD, Music & Consumer Products. "We are thrilled to be able to offer a tremendous selection of artists and music and give the audience another way to connect with the show they love."
"For a long time music and comic dork like myself, this project has been a dream come true," said Errol Kolosine. "Allan and the team behind 'Heroes' had a commitment to making this soundtrack as unique and inspiring as the show itself, which is how we managed this stellar selection of musical heroes. It was also exciting to make the album direct with NBC, without the intrusion of any label or other entity that might have challenged the integrity of the project."
"Music is an integral part of 'Heroes,' both in the creation and inspiration for the series, and also in the finished product," said Allan Arkush. "Errol Kolosine helped us focus our grand and truly bizarre ideas into a cohesive vision and helped us assemble a powerful collection of songs that really reflect the drama and feel of our show."
"We are excited to partner with a great talent like Allan Arkush to bring the music of the soundtrack to life through creative edits of 'Heroes' footage," said Richard Winn, Director of Entertainment Development, Zune. "This podcast series is part of our plan to make more original content available via Zune Marketplace."
"We are delighted to give our customers and the show's fans the very first opportunity to own this amazing compilation of great music," noted Gary Arnold, senior entertainment officer for Best Buy.
The complete track listing is as follows:
1. Heroes Title – Wendy & Lisa
2. Fire and Regeneration – Wendy & Lisa (*new release)
3. He's Frank – Brighton Port Authority featuring Iggy Pop (*new release)
4. All For Swinging You Around – New Pornographers
5. Glad It's Over – Wilco (*new release)
6. Weightless – Nada Surf (new release)
7. Nine In The Afternoon – Panic! At The Disco (new release)
8. Chills – My Morning Jacket (*new release)
9. Natural Selection – Wendy & Lisa
10. ABoneCroneDrone 3 – Shelia Chandra
11. Not Now But Soon – Imogen Heap (*new release)
12. Jealously Rides With Me – Death Cab For Cutie (*new U.S. release)
13. All Things Must Pass – The Jesus and Mary Chain (*new release)
14. Homecoming – Wendy & Lisa
15. Man In The Long Black Coat – Bob Dylan
16. Maya's Theme – Yerba Buena (*new release)
17. Keeping My Composure – The Chemical Brothers featuring Spank Rock (*new release)
18. Heroes – David Bowie
* Denotes an exclusive new release on the "Heroes" soundtrack album.